In addition to this page, we list our employment opportunities through Hire Culture, and we recommend them as a resource.
Greater Boston Stage Company (GBSC) invites applications and referrals for the position of Director of Marketing. This is a great opportunity for a talented and ambitious leader advancing in the field of arts marketing. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
GBSC brings vibrant professional theatre and dramatic education beyond the boundaries of Boston, featuring world and regional premieres alongside fresh interpretations of familiar work. Within this setting, we uniquely foster the artists of tomorrow by providing ongoing performance and employment opportunities to our company of current and former students. GBSC produces 5 Mainstage shows, presents 8-12 concerts, and runs a robust education program for an annual audience of 35,000 in its 350-seat venue in downtown Stoneham.
Greater Boston Stage Company seeks to strengthen community in our suburban setting by encouraging first-time and seasoned audiences to experience the excitement of live theatre. In our intimate venue, we present plays and musicals, both familiar and new, which speak to the interests and concerns of our region and keep the art of professional theatre thriving. Our education program, The Young Company, believes that good theatre makes good people. We provide year-round training and performance opportunities to students in grades 1-12 with a vital connection to our professional company. As a community anchor, GBSC fuels the local economy and provides a welcoming and affordable cultural destination in Boston’s Metro North.
Overview of Position
The Director of Marketing is responsible for marketing, branding, PR, sales, front of house, and customer service. They develop and implement strategies to increase ticket sales and attendance for GBSC shows and events and deliver a positive brand experience that earns support for the mission. The director is a key member of the senior management team who reports to the managing director and collaborates with artistic leadership. The director supervises marketing, box office, and front of house which includes full-time and part-time staff and an engaged volunteer corps.
• Direct the day-to-day operations of a team that typically consists of an audience development manager, creative services associate, audience services manager, and box office manager in service of overall institutional needs, including development and education, to help create a dynamic public image for the organization.
• Develop and implement all marketing and communications activities, including media relations, publications and advertising to support GBSC‘s strategic mission.
• Create and implement patron loyalty and retention initiatives including a robust subscription program.
• Project single ticket revenues based on historical sales trends; set and manage pricing; maximize revenue by implementing dynamic pricing strategies in coordination with overall organizational goals.
• Administer strategically driven subscription, group, and single ticket sales campaigns to meet institutional needs for earned revenue and attendance, using direct mail, social media, email marketing, digital, print, and radio advertising, e-commerce, PR, special events/receptions, and promotions.
• Oversee brand development and assure consistent implementation in all areas with input of GBSC constituencies, management team and leadership.
• Oversee GBSC’s digital advancement program including website and e-commerce, advertising, social media, and permission marketing.
• Prepare and maintain operating budgets for marketing and communication activities, and develop revenue and expense budgets. Work with the managing director on budget assumptions, documentation, and analysis. Prepare financial forecasts and reports.
• Oversee the timely development and production of all marketing and promotional materials for subscription renewal and acquisition campaigns, individual concerts, tours, educational and community activities and other GBSC events.
• Work closely with Development and Education departments to execute sales and marketing strategies for Development and Education programs.
• Cultivate relationships with members of the news media locally and nationally; develop and execute media and PR plans.
• Develop and manage strategic events and press openings.
• Supervise negotiation and maintain contact with outside vendors for direct mail, design and printing services; advertising, etc., to ensure competitive pricing and the quality of their work.
• Collaborate with other cultural and community organizations in arts advocacy support.
• Develop reporting and analytics to generate key sales, financial, and statistical analyses to effectively track sales and financial performance.
• Develop a robust research program on marketing trends and best practices.
Qualifications and Attributes
The ideal Director of Marketing is an outgoing and confident leader and collaborator. They are a natural strategic planner who activates the latest best practices and innovations in performing arts marketing. They rely heavily on data to drive decision-making. They have the capacity to contribute a marketing-driven perspective to programming conversations. They demonstrate a strong aesthetic sensibility, creative vision, and a genuine interest in trying new methods and approaches. The director is a creative, inclusive, and appropriately risk-tolerant leader who inspires a dedicated staff that produces high-quality work in a complex, fast-paced environment. The director cultivates a culture of hard work, mutual respect and ongoing learning. They are an enthusiastic advocate for the Greater Boston arts community.
The preferred candidate will demonstrate:
• A record of progressive accomplishment in theatre, arts, or event marketing at a comparable organization.
• Experience developing and executing successful integrated, multi-channel marketing campaigns.
• Dedication to strategic thinking and planning.
• Proficiency with building a digital and social media program (social, SEO, display, etc.) powered by best industry practices.
• Experience with CRM systems, databases, and market research.
• Interest in institutional and product brand development and activation.
• Well-honed PR and communications capabilities, and excellent writing skills.
• Track record of accurate financial management, goal-setting and benchmarking, and reporting.
• Strong project management experience.
• Proficiency with MS Word products; graphic design programs, ticketing software, and video /photo editing software a plus.
• The capacity to add perspective to organizational culture.
• Maturity, drive, intellectual curiosity, enthusiasm, and humor.
• Commitment to cultivating and managing a diverse staff.
An Exceptional Opportunity
GBSC offers a competitive salary in the $65,000 range and benefits including health, dental, paid vacation, and sick leave. The Theatre provides a congenial and supportive environment conducive to professional growth.
GBSC is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
Robert Sweibel Arts & Culture Consulting is conducting this search on behalf of GBSC. Qualified individuals are invited to submit a resume plus an expression of interest (video, audio, written) that speak to interests, skills, accomplishments, and characteristics that distinguish the candidacy. Please, no phone calls.
Robert Sweibel Arts & Culture Consulting
350 Cabrini Blvd, 6J New York, NY 10040
A review of prospective candidates will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. All candidates of interest will be contacted. We regret that we’re unable to follow up with every candidate.
Every applicant’s materials will be reviewed by the Consultant. After reviewing all applications, the Consultant will conduct first-round interviews on a rolling basis by phone or video. The Consultant will recommend applicants for further consideration to GBSC management. Additional interviews with GBSC and select stakeholders, in a format consistent from one candidate to another, then will be undertaken. The process will continue until an appointment is made or the search is suspended.
CONTACT GREATER BOSTON STAGE COMPANY
Greater Boston Stage Company
395 Main Street
Stoneham, MA 02180