The Caitlin Lowans Young Company Scholarship is a $500 scholarship named for Greater Boston Stage Company’s former Associate Artistic Director. Taking over from original Director of Education, Christopher Chew, Caitlin grew The Young Company into the program it is today. This scholarship has been established to honor a Young Company student who embodies the ideal that good theatre makes good people, as encapsulated in our mission.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY:
One award of $500 will be offered to a student from the graduating class of 2022. Applicants must have participated in at least three (3) programs with The Young Company and be planning to attend college in the Fall. “Programs” include a Fall or Spring class, Voice Lessons, Summer Festival, Winter Festival, or Spring Shakespeare.
WHAT DOES THE APPLICATION CONSIST OF?
• Cover Sheet — download here
• Transcript — Provide a copy of your current High School transcript (an unofficial version is acceptable).
• Letter of Recommendation—submit one letter of recommendation, preferably from a teacher, guidance counselor, coach, or work supervisor. Please note: the letter of recommendation cannot come from a Greater Boston Stage Company staff member, including Young Company instructors.
• Essay—Submit an essay (1-2 pages, typed, double-spaced, Times New Roman 12-point font) addressing the following:
- How has your experience as part of Greater Boston Stage Company’s young company impacted you? What have you learned from it? How have you grown or changed as an artist, an audience member, and as a person?
- What are some takeaways from your experience in The Young Company that you can utilize in college?
Caitlin Lowans Young Company ScholarshipGreater Boston Stage Company
395 Main Street
Stoneham, MA 02180
Or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT WILL THE SELECTION PROCESS BE?
- A committee from Greater Boston Stage Company will meet to review all of the applications and make a selection. The committee will consist of a combination of staff members, Board Members, parents of Young Company alumni, and Young Company instructors.
HOW WILL THE APPLICATIONS BE EVALUATED/WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA FOR WINNING
Applications will be evaluated based on the following:
- Both curricular and extracurricular achievements.
- Is the essay well-written, including good grammar and punctuation? Did they answer the essay questions completely?
- During The Young Company programs in which they participated, were they a good collaborator/team member? Did they exemplify the ideals of The young company mission in terms of educational takeaways and participation?
If you have questions or need additional information, contact email@example.com or 781-279-7885 x104. Thank you, and we look forward to receiving your materials!