The Young Company is Greater Boston Stage Company’s year-round theatre education program for students in grades 1-12, offering artistic training and performance opportunities in a professional setting.
Our Education Mission
The Young Company at Greater Boston Stage Company helps the next generation become better artists, better audience members, and better people through theatre education
We believe GOOD THEATRE MAKES GOOD PEOPLE.
To create Good Theatre, we are committed to:
- Creating a collaborative, process-oriented and professional artistic environment.
- Hiring the best Boston-based professional teaching artists who specialize in navigating the intersection of education and high-level theatrical art.
- Examining performance as a collaboration between the artist, the text, and the audience.
- Developing and implementing an individualized learning approach for each student.
To inspire Good People, we are committed to:
- Maintaining a safe and friendly working environment in which students can explore their individuality and identity.
- Fostering the development of engaged citizens and successful young adults by instilling the four habits-of-mind at the core of our curriculum: confidence, empathy, ownership, and agency.
- Establishing an inclusive environment in which all students (novice and experienced, atypical and neurodiverse populations) can experience the joys of theatre and find personal successes.
Furthermore, the Young Company is committed to:
- Removing financial barriers to participation by offering a Financial Aid program funded by generous donors.
- Providing ongoing professional networking and Mainstage performance and employment opportunities to students and alumni who choose to pursue a career in theatre.
Special Needs or Concerns:
The Young Company at Greater Boston Stage Company strives to be an inclusive environment. Parents or guardians need to notify us of any special needs or concerns, particularly related to learning issues, behavioral issues, medication, and allergies, so that we can insure the safety of all participants. If for any reason we believe that participation in The Young Company is not in the best interest of the student or the program as a whole, the parent or guardian will be consulted.
Sign up for our education
e-newsletter for the latest updates!
Interested in teaching with The Young Company? Sign up for email alerts.